No matter what kind of blinds you have—wooden, fabric and vertical are the three basic types—these tips will make their cleaning and maintenance easy:
1. Vacuum blinds often with the brush attachment. Vacuum across the slats, not up and down.
2. Use a lamb’s-wool duster, again working across the slats and starting at the top. Do not use plastic dusters.
3. When dusting or vacuuming vertical blinds, brush downward only, as the slats often become unhooked if you brush upward.
4. Use a rubber sponge, also known as a dry sponge (found at hardware and paint stores), to remove dust and residue from both fabric and vinyl blinds. Simply wipe the dry sponge firmly across the blinds.
5. For spot cleaning, spray an all-purpose cleaner onto a clean dry cloth and wipe the soiled area of the blind. Never spray the cleaner directly onto the blind.
6. You can wet wooden blinds when cleaning, but don’t soak them. Clean them in place instead of removing them as you would for other types of blinds. [more]